Election's 2023 FAQs
1. What positions are up for this year's election?
In accordance with the PMINYC Bylaws, the chapter has opened nominations for the following positions:
- Vice President of Administration and Operations
- VP Finance
- VP Marketing and Communications
- VP Outreach
- VP Programs
- VP Technology
2. What is the elected position term?
Terms for 5 of this year's elected positions will span two years, from January 1, 2024, through December 31, 2025. Only Vice President of Administration and Operations will span one year.
3. How much work does it entail to serve on the PMINYC board? What are the benefits?
Elected officers should expect to spend 30+ hours per month including attendance at Board of Directors meetings and time dedicated to chapter events. The Volunteer Development Model provides a useful summary of different levels of volunteering, including a breakdown of time commitment by volunteer role. Serving as a PMI board member is a rewarding experience that allows you to play a leading role in a large and influential organization and grow professionally. The PMINYC Nominations and Elections team recently asked past office holders to share how volunteering for PMI has shaped professional development. Here are some of the themes they shared consistently:
- Development of professional skills such as leadership, collaboration, communication, and presentation capabilities.
- Occupy a leading role in a prominent organization in a level of responsibility an accountability that might be otherwise difficult to obtain-something that employers immediately recognize and appreciate and could position you for further advancement in your career.
- Expand your network within the chapter, within PMI globally, within the profession, and potentially far beyond
- Gain experience influencing, motivating, coaching a diverse group of professionals
- A chance to "give back" to the Project Management profession, the Chapter, and your peers. You can have a lasting impact on the chapter and its members
- Expand your personal friendships in ways you could not foresee
- You will learn a lot about yourself
4. What are the qualifications to run for office?
To be eligible to hold a position on the PMINYC Board you must:
- Be a member in good standing of PMI and PMINYC (dues paid, no ethics violations, etc.)
- Possess role-related skills for the office you seek
- See the role description for more details
The Board of Directors reserves the right to make exceptions to these requirements.
The chapter’s bylaws provide important information about the chapter, chapter membership, the board of directors, and the nominations and elections process. If you are considering running for office, please read the bylaws.
5. Who can vote and how?
Voters must be PMINYC members in good standing at least one month before voting begins. Personalized ballot URLs will be mailed to all eligible voters at the start of the voting period. Voters will record their votes online.
6. What is the nomination and election timeline?
|August 17, 2023||
August 25, 2023
October 16, 2023
October 27, 2023
November 20, 2023
January 1, 2024
New terms begin
7. Are candidates allowed to campaign prior to the election?
Absolutely not. PMI policy strictly forbids organized campaigning. Please refer to the chapter bylaws for additional information.
Candidates must provide a photograph, biography and vision statement which will constitute the ballot that Members will reference during the Election.
8. How will information about nominations and elections be communicated?
The latest information about elections can be found on the PMINYC website via our Nominations and Elections page.
You will receive updates in our monthly PMINYC newsletter and more frequently in bulletins from the Nominations and Elections Committee. (Update your email filters so that emails from email@example.com via Constant Contact and from firstname.lastname@example.org are NOT treated as spam)
Have other questions? Write to us at email@example.com.
9.What if I just want to volunteer?
Please refer to the Volunteers page for information.