Volunteering is fun!
PMI New York City is 100% run by volunteer members.
Chapter members serve in all board positions, conceive and execute all programs, serve as mentors, plan chapter meetings...
Anything and everything that "we" do for our members ... is done by member volunteers - like you!
Think about what you want or expect from PMI membership
- learn about project management
- achieve certification
- gain experience as a project manager, as a leader... develop communication and presentation skills
- accomplish resume - worthy experiences and recommendations through your volunteering accomplishments
- build your professional network...
- earn Professional Development Units (PDUs) to maintain your certification status
- give back to the profession... the organization... the chapter and help others
Each of these benefits could be amplified through volunteering!
Volunteering can be fun and rewarding!
But like many things - what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
If you are a new member
- Experience suggests that new members first attend some chapter meetings and participate in chapter programs before volunteering.
- Learning about the chapter and meeting other volunteers will help you find the best role and prepare for the time and responsibility you''ll take on.
What do you like to do? How do you want to develop? When and How much time do you plan for volunteering?
- If you haven''t created a "development plan" think about how experience as a volunteer might help.
- Consider joining up with an Outreach activity and help the chapter give back to the NYC community.
- Think about the different functional teams ... Programs... Outreach... Education... Communications... talk to other volunteers or contact the Volunteer Relations Team for ideas by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an experienced member
- You might also consider helping other members through Mentoring (requires PMI certification plus 5 years of experience)
- You might look for opportunities to develop leadership skills by serving as a team or chapter leader